Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Redo # 2012 -01

This is the first post on a new blog about making do, trash to treasure, rejuvenation, re-use and recycling.  There is not much that is more satisfying than a wonderful, functional and/or decorative "after" - and I hope to publish many of these along with tutorials if there is interest.

Here we go!

An old turntable/radio cabinet like this, made from maple in a country French style, is perfect for a rejuvenation.   No one wanted it as none of the components worked, but I saw potential. I gutted the speakers, radio and turntable, added a new bottom to the storage on top and sides.  (I have jewelry plans for the really cool tubes and colorful soldered bits - and parts of the speakers will end up as yard/outdoor art.)  I regret I failed to get a "before" photo, but here is the finished piece.
A shelf was added to each of the former speaker cavities.  I even used the original hardware - just painted it.

Attractive storage - side cabs are perfect for books, center door for stuff to hide, and top space for anything! I have a huge collection of old VHS tapes that fit perfectly - spine up - here.
The finish I chose is two tone: dark taupe under and in the storage spaces, with a light sandy taupe as the topcoat.  I utilized a resist technique for the chip-away distressed finish.

So much of the new furniture available/affordable for the average person is very poor quality and not even made from solid woods but MDF, pressboard, and glue.  One nick in that "fancy" sprayed-on pretend-a-wood finish and another Chinese import becomes junk.  This cabinet will be handed down to the next generation.


No comments:

Post a Comment